Corporate Social Responsibility

The ECS Group, and its companies, are built upon values which guide our actions and distinguish us from others. We conduct business in an ethical and socially accountable manner and are committed to protecting the environment, health and safety of our employees.

As an organisation we are motivated on minimising any impact on the environment and ensuring a healthy environment for current and future generations. We are committed to continually working towards a sustainable society and are in unity with our customers around the world.

We are focused on these three objectives:
  • Value the environment

    Seek ways to incorporate environmental opportunities and contribute to habitat enhancement.

  • Reduce CO2 emissions

    To continually reduce contribution to the emission of Greenhouse Gases, including CO2, from our business activities.

  • Raise Awareness

    To contribute and raise awareness of our environmental and social responsibilities through aiding research, education and participating in community projects.

Recycling in offices

The cost of putting waste into landfill sites has been steadily rising since 2001. Recycling office waste can save money and help reduce our impact on the environment. We are making this ever easier to do within our offices and strive to make even more improvements.

Reduction in single-use

We believe we all have a part to play in reducing waste from single-use items. With that in mind we have introduced a number of changes into our organisation which will reduce our single-use items, and will continue to introduce more. Things such as eliminating polystyrene foam cups, disposable straws and utensil, as well as promoting and providing reusable items and items made from recycled materials. Introducing reusable travel cups is a great way to help our field based teams reduce their reliance on single-use items whilst on the road and travelling.

Made from recycled items

Introducing items like stationary made from the fabric and plastic gathered from the EU - ‘ELV’ scheme was hugely welcomed not only by our colleagues but by our customers as well. Within the car recycling scheme around 65% is steel but the remainder 35% is plastics and fabrics.
Other items like travel mugs and notepads made from recycled items are also great for reducing the waste going to landfill whilst simultaneously helping the organisation with items it needs.

Reusable items

Switching from disposable to reusable items makes a huge difference to the amount of waste being produced by the organisation. Things such as drinks containers, cups, plates and utensils, towels, etc. all contribute to our reduction in waste and our carbon footprint.

LED lights

During 2018 our UK Head Office committed to replacing all our ceiling lighting with LED lighting.
LED lighting is much more efficient. Traditional lighting turns only 10% of the energy required into productive light and this increases demand charges. LED lighting uses up to 80% of available energy to generate light.
In addition, lower energy is required to power the bulb. For example, a 84 watt fluorescent light can be replaced by a 36 watt LED light leading to great benefits when introduced over an entire building.

Reducing footprint of work space

To help reduce our carbon footprint, within our office spaces we utilise an intelligent work space approach. The idea behind this it to have the majority of the office personnel working nearby each other, in a smaller footprint of the building; and our meeting rooms, video conferencing rooms, etc. being located together in another part of the building.
This allows the security, lighting, and heating to be systematically regulated and overall reduces our impact by being able to shut down areas of the building that we are utilising for periods of time.

Travelling to customers

As part of our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint, and those of our partners and clients, we work hard with them to make sure that any travelling done is done as responsibly as possible. We are looking to introduce a complete carbon off-set to all our journeys and we always consider the most responsible and appropriate way to visit our customers and partners.

Mutually advantageous locations

In addition to making sure we travel as responsibly as possible, we also take great care to meet at mutually advantageous locations. This helps us not only get the maximum business effectiveness from our trips but it also reduces the collective amount of travelling needing to be done by all parties and in turn, the impact on the environment.